Working on a construction site in New York may require you to be around heavy construction equipment such as bulldozers, road graders, cranes and hydraulic lifters. Unfortunately, due to their size, it can be dangerous to be around them. Even if you follow safety procedures, an accident may occur, leaving you injured. Knowing the steps to take if this happens can be vital to your well-being.
Seeking medical attention is a priority after an injury occurs
If you become injured due to an accident with construction equipment, the top priority is to get medical help immediately. Even if the injury seems minimal, seeking the assistance of a medical professional is best. If onsite care is available, use it first, and then visit an independent medical provider to receive an unbiased opinion.
Documenting the incident is essential
After you have tended to your injuries, documenting the incident is important. Using the checklist below can be helpful:
- Record the location and time of the accident.
- Record the contractors involved in the project.
- Indicate the onsite supervisor’s name and the company name.
- Take photos of the construction site where the incident occurred and the equipment involved.
- Record how the accident occurred and the construction vehicle involved.
- Indicate your medical diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Record the statements of any witnesses.
- Indicate how your lifestyle has changed due to the impact of the injury.
Protect your legal rights
If the insurance company of the employer tries to pressure you to sign anything, it’s best to wait and have a legal professional assist you. Signing a statement or documents prematurely could be detrimental in helping you get compensation, so make sure to protect your rights.
Knowing the steps to take if you’re involved in an accident with construction equipment can be crucial. Be sure to document everything in order to get the compensation you deserve for any injuries suffered.