Can my employer change my time card?

On Behalf of | Dec 2, 2020 | Wages & Hours

If your employer pays you an hourly wage instead of an annual salary, you should receive compensation for every hour that you work. According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, an employer must pay you overtime for any hours that you work over forty hours per week. If you clock in and clock out when you go to work, your employer has to pay you for the time that you recorded 

When a supervisor asks you to work extra time by coming in early or staying late, he or she must pay you for that time. If you clock in for the extra hours that you have worked and your supervisor changes your recorded hours, it may be a violation of the FLSA. 

An employer should not change time cards to avoid paying overtime

Some supervisors face pressure from higher-ups to avoid paying employees overtime. Nonetheless, it is not reasonable for a supervisor to change your time card or ask you to clock out and continue working anyways. This type of practice may amount to wage theft. 

An employer does not have to pay you for time that you were not working

Bear in mind that simply being present at your workplace does not mean that your employer must pay you for your time there. For example, an employer does not have to pay you for time that you spent in the break room or socializing with coworkers. Adjusting your time card to account for time that you were not working would likely not violate the FSLA.