A car accident can change your life in an instant. It can leave you unable to work, unable to pay your medical bills and unable to enjoy your life as you did in the past. Your injuries can be physically painful and expensive, and it can be quite complicated to navigate the aftermath of a serious accident on your own.
If you are the victim of the reckless or negligent actions of another New York driver, you may know that you could be able to claim compensation through a personal injury claim. However, what types of restitution could you actually get? It can be helpful to learn about all of the damages you may be able to seek and how you can ensure that you secure what you need for a full and fair recovery.
How did your accident impact your life?
The specific types of damages available to you and the types of compensation you could get depend on your injuries and how they impact your life. It can also depend on how long your injuries will last and what your long-term prognosis looks like. As you fight for an appropriate amount of economic recovery, the following terms may be helpful:
- Future medical expenses, including rehabilitation, medical support and other types of care you will need long-term
- Daily support, which includes the type of help you will need in order to remain independent and function in your own home
- Disfigurement, which includes all of the ways the accident altered your physical appearance or your body
- Loss of enjoyment of life, which includes the ways the accident affected your ability to live as you did before and get enjoyment from certain things
- Lost wages, which includes the money you lost during your recovery, as well as a loss of future earning capacity
These are only a few examples of the many different types of economic damages you may be able to seek in your personal injury claim. An evaluation of your case can help you understand the options available to you and how you can move forward with the right course of legal action.
If you are the victim of a serious car accident, you may want to take quick action in securing appropriate legal help and moving forward with preparing and filing a personal injury claim. When it is your future on the line, you do not want to delay in getting the restitution you deserve and need.