As a pedestrian, you must always watch out for things going on around you. Most importantly, you need to know what motor vehicles are doing at all times.
Knowing the many reasons why a driver may strike a pedestrian can go a long way in keeping you safe. Here are some of the top causes of this type of accident:
- Distracted driving, such as when a driver is texting or adjusting the radio or GPS
- Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol or prescription medication
- Disobeying signals or signs, such as in a crowded city
- Failure to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks
- Failure to signal in advance of making a turn
- Disregarding traffic and/or weather conditions
- All forms of reckless driving, such as speeding
As a pedestrian, there is nothing you can do about a driver who wants to break the law. For example, no matter what you do, you can’t stop a person from texting while driving or having a few drinks before getting behind the wheel.
The best thing you can do is be on the lookout for bad situations, so that you can immediately remove yourself.
If you are part of a pedestrian-vehicle accident, you should do whatever you can to receive immediate medical treatment. This is imperative to making a full recovery, so don’t hesitate.
Once you receive treatment and understand your injuries, take the time to learn more about the cause of the accident. You have legal rights as a pedestrian, and knowing the cause will go a long way in helping you protect them.
Source: FindLaw, “Pedestrian Accidents Overview,” accessed June 14, 2018