Can I still get workers’ compensation if I am not a citizen?

On Behalf of | Apr 18, 2018 | Workers' Compensation

New York is rich in its history of attracting immigrants from all over the world seeking better lives in America. Many multi-cultural families have flourished with the job opportunities that didn’t exist for them back home. Among these people are non-citizen workers performing dangerous jobs in the construction industry.

The construction site is full of potential hazards. There have been many accidents associated with scaffolding, demolition, faulty equipment and more. The injuries from these types of accidents may take you from your job for a long time or even permanently. You might be having difficulty providing for your family and supporting yourself.

Good news

The good news is that you are protected under the Workers’ Compensation and Labor Law despite your citizenship status. You can still file a claim or seek legal assistance as a non-citizen. Having this ability is the protection you need when your employer fails to provide you with safety training or maintain proper equipment. You do not have to be a victim when you are seriously injured on the job.

Don’t be afraid to file a claim

Too many construction workers are afraid to make any type of claim or seek legal services because they are not citizens. This does not have to be you. Laws were created to protect citizens and non-citizens alike. There are many resources and information to help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Your health and rights are worth fighting for as you work to support your family and the economy.