My father, Lawrence Klein, was a pioneer in the field of workers' compensation. I began my apprenticeship at the age of fifteen, working summers in his growing law practice. For more than thirty years, I've carried on my father's tradition of bare knuckle street fighting for justice for New York's working men and women.
I have taught pro bono workshops for many local unions and Teamsters, including asbestos workers, hazardous waste carters, drivers of baked goods and dairy products, EMS paramedics, butchers and meat-wrappers, the Municipal Police Benevolent Association, and the Mason Tenders Training Fund, SEIU 1199 and Locals 108 and 79, DC 9, Painters and Allied Trades. I have also conducted free legal workshops for La Colmena - Staten Island, El Centro Del Inmigrante, The National Day Laborers Network, The Workers' Justice Project, the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association, the New York City & Vicinity Carpenters Latino Association, the Chinese Community Center in Manhattan, the Flushing Workers Center and Chinese Staff & Workers Association, Obreros Unidos De Yonkers Y Caridades Catolicas, The Latin American Workers Project, Parents in Action and the Workers Education Resource Center acting in collaboration with the New York City Comptroller's Bureau of Labor Law, and the Mexican Consulate, and the Ecuadorian Consulate. I have taught at Mount Sinai Hospital, Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, and New York - Presbyterian Hospital.
Articles and interviews appear in Labor Press, the State Bar News, the chiropractic journal New Directions, the China Press, SingTao Daily, and the Ming Pao Daily News, and Univision Channel 41. I am proud to be a sponsor of the Career Building Awards Gala for that great New York organization Chinese Manpower (CMP).
I have been presented with Certificates of Appreciation from The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health, The Latino Laborers Culture Association Local 79, and a Certificate of Appreciation from La Colmena and Nani Migrante, from Fundación Tapori Quito - Federación de Instituciones de Pichincha, and from The World Trade Center Medical Monitoring Program Clinical Center at Mount Sinai.
I authored, with Julio Torres Quintanilla, English for Day Laborers and Construction Workers, a publication designed for ESL classes, which I provide free to many non-profits in New York and across the country, including Nani Migrante Transnational Project, El Sol, the Underground Construction Company, the Center for Immigrant Education of Louisiana, and English of North Georgia.
I’m gratified to offer support to New York Tlan, and to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
I am proud to have given key support to the development of the Jornalero Wage Theft App, that I fully expect will change for the better, the lives of many thousands of New York's working men and women.
During the pandemic of 2020-2021, I was invited by La Colmena - Community Job Center, TakeRoot Justice, Radio Jornalero New York, and SEIU 1199 to hold classes on Facebook and Zoom, with a focus on Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury law. In 2022 I was recognized by La Colmena as Contributor Of The Year for my work with their organization.
I have been honored as a Super Lawyer over multiple years. I have also been honored by the New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health.
Areas Of Practice
- Business & Commercial Law
- Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- Workers' Compensation Law
- Motor Vehicle Accidents - Plaintiff
- Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Wrongful Death - Plaintiff
- Construction Accidents
- New York, 2005
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: High Honors
- Author, English for Day Laborers and Construction Workers
- Workers' Compensation, Personal Injury, Wages & Hours, and Social Security Disability Law for Continuing Visions: Continuing Education For The Funeral Profession
- La Colmena - Staten Island
- El Centro Del Inmigrante
- The National Day Laborers Network
- The Workers' Justice Project
- Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association
- New York City & Vicinity Carpenters Latino Association
- Chinese Community Center in Manhattan
- Flushing Workers Center and Chinese Staff & Workers Association
- Obreros Unidos De Yonkers Y Caridades Catolicas
- The Latin American Workers Project
- Parents in Action and the Workers Education Resource Center acting in collaboration with the New York City Comptroller's Bureau of Labor Law, and the Mexican Consulate
- Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan
- Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx
- New York - Presbyterian Hospital in Washington Heights, Manhattan
- TakeRoot Justice (formerly The Community Development Project)
- Workers' compensation and personal injury law, and how to protect your rights.
- Video Lecture: Workers Compensation & Personal Injury - Radio Jornalera - Nov 2021
- Video Lecture: Workers Compensation & Personal Injury - La Colmena (Community Job Center) - Jan 2022
Honors and Awards
- Voted Super Lawyer over multiple years
- Certificates of Appreciation from the Latino Laborers Culture Association Local 79
- Certificate of Appreciation from La Colmena and Nani Migrante, from Fundación Tapori Quito - Federación de Instituciones de Pichincha
- The World Trade Center Medical Monitoring Program Clinical Center at Mount Sinai
- Top Lawyer on the 2018 Global Who’s Who list
- Honored by the New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health
Pro Bono Activities
- The Workplace Project